Update:

Konami has officially confirmed to Kotaku that Silent Hills has been cancelled. Here's what a Konami representative said about the project:

Konami is committed to new Silent Hill titles, however the embryonic ‘Silent Hills’ project developed with Guillermo del Toro and featuring the likeness of Norman Reedus will not be continued.

In terms of Kojima and Del Toro being involved, discussions on future Silent Hill projects are currently underway, and please stay tuned for further announcements.

Original Story:

Konami has responded to Norman Reedus and Guillermo del Toro's claims of Silent Hills' cancellation, leaving us to fear for the worst.

Last night, we reported that Guillermo del Toro announced the cancellation of Silent Hills during a Q&A session at the historic Castro Theater in San Francisco, CA. After hearing this news, Norman Reedus tweeted his feelings about the project being canned and that he was looking forward to it. The project was originally going to be directed by the legendary game developer Hideo Kojima and Guillermo del Toro, who is known for directing and writing Pacific Rim, the Hellboy films and The Strain TV series. Norman Reedus, known for his work on The Walking Dead and The Boondock Saints (who worked with Guillermo del Toro on Blade II), was going to star as Silent Hills' protagonist. This was all revealed at the end of P.T., the "Playable Teaser" for Silent Hills that was released on the PlayStation Network last year.

Survival horror fans around the world have been questioning whether or not development on the game would continue now that Kojima Productions has been dismantled and Hideo Kojima being expected to leave Konami after the Sept. 1 launch of Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain.

"Our contract period with Reedus has expired," a Konami representative said to GameSpot. "We will continue to develop the Silent Hill series."

While this statement is as cryptic as it gets and dances around the topic of whether or not Silent Hills is cancelled, this is still better than the statement the company gave in regards to Kojima's expected departure, which essentially said "Kojima is still working on The Phantom Pain," with no further explanation. Furthermore, Konami did not issue any statement in regards to the status of P.T. or why it was being removed from the market. In the meantime, make sure you download P.T. before it is removed from the PlayStation Network on April 29.

Just hit us with the truth, Konami — this is like addressing a kitchen fire by turning on a faucet.