PlayStation 4 Update 2.50 Details Confirmed (Updated)
The PlayStation Blog has confirmed that the features we originally reported on earlier this week will be included in the PlayStation 4's upcoming version 2.50 update. These changes include Trophy improvements, accessibility/button-remapping options, Remote/Share Play at 60 fps and Facebook friend-searching on the PSN. Users will also be able to share video clips to a Dailymotion account if they prefer via the new Yukimura program. Also, sub-accounts will be able to upgrade to Master accounts once the user turns 18, removing chat restrictions, allowing wallet/purchase functionality and more.
An updated Rest Mode, 60 fps Share Play and the ability to find PSN friends via Facebook are all coming to the PlayStation 4.
According to Destructoid, Twitter User Wario64 (Kevin Chieng of Game Trailers fame) leaked the changelog data for a beta of update 2.50 coming to the PlayStation 4. This system update will be adding some new features fans have been asking about for quite some time. In particular, you'll be able to remap your controller's buttons for the entire system, which is great if you're trying to bring things back to the old Final Fantasy days of having X as cancel and O as confirm (or if you just have a broken button or something).
Here are all the upcoming PS4 changes coming in version 2.50:
- The system can now enter rest mode without closing any applications. You can adjust this setting in [Power Save Settings] > [Set Functions Available in Rest Mode].
- [Accessibility] has been added to [Settings]. You can adjust accessibility settings such as zooming and button assignments.
- You can now delete trophies with 0% achievement progress.
- [Earned Date], [Not Earned], and [Grade] have been added as sorting options for trophies. You can also sort by [Earned Date] and [Not Earned] options when comparing trophies with other players.
- You can now search the Internet for details about trophies from the options menu in[Trophies].
- Screenshots of scenes when you earn trophies are now saved automatically. You can view saved screenshots in [Capture Gallery].
- You can now share trophy details and screenshots. Select the trophy you want to share details about in [Trophy], and then press the Share button.
- You can now test the host’s connection speed when starting Share Play.
- You can now enjoy Share Play at 60 fps. A host in a party can adjust the setting in [Party Settings] > [Video Quality for Share Play] > [Frame Rate].
- A user who is running version 2.50 or earlier on their system cannot use Share Play with someone who is running version 2.50 beta on their system. Users who are both running system software version 2.50 beta can enjoy Share Play.
- Users who are your Facebook friends can now be displayed in [Players You May Know].
- You can now send real name requests in addition to Friend requests to users who are currently not on your Friends list.
- You can now apply a shadow style for text in [Themes].
- You can now enter up to 140 characters for your self-introduction.
- If you enter 22 characters or more for your self-introduction, only 21 characters will be displayed on a PS4 system running system software version earlier than 2.50.
- You can now use the touch pad to operate playback of videos on discs.
- [Discover] has been added to introduce users to PS4 system features. You can view information about features in [Notifications] > [Discover].
- Remote Play cannot be used with a PS Vita system running version 3.35. A system software update for the PS Vita (to be released later) is required.
There are definitely some nice features being added if this leak turns out to be fully accurate. In particular, entering rest mode without closing any applications will help give the PS4 the same kind of quick access to suspended apps that the Xbox One has. Being able to enjoy Share Play at 60 fps will be great, especially for those who are using it for fighting game matches with their friends. We were wondering about when the PS4 would start pushing its Facebook-integration, and we're glad it's taking small steps and not going overboard by only adding a "Players You May Know" feature based on your Friends List. It'll be nice to use rest mode when want to suspend everything, step out from playing and to pick things up from right where you left off. Unfortunately, there's still no launch window as to when we should expect version 2.50, but we're guessing we should see it within the next month or two.