‘Warcraft’ Film Delayed to June 2016 Theatrical Release
It's going to take a little bit longer for the Horde to reach the Dark Portal and invade Azeroth as the Duncan Jones' Warcraft film has been delayed three months.
ScreenCrush reports that Legendary and Universal Pictures have announced a rescheduling of many of its major releases for the next two years. You could factor in other films, such as Star Wars: The Force Awakens and Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice, playing major roles into why movies like Warcraft and Pacific Rim 2 were delayed. The company behind these films would want them to have their own time slot so theaters aren't divided in all the badass movies they want to watch. We should note that Duncan Jones finished principal shooting on Warcraft back in May 2014, and the film was originally due for a Dec. 2015 release, but Luke Skywalker's return had it delayed to March. Legendary has moved it again to a June release to get it away from the Man of Steel vs. the Dark Knight and so that it gets its own summer season slot.
Here are all the major release changes that Universal and Legendary announced (courtesy of SlashFilm) :
- Legendary’s WARCRAFT, released in 3D by Universal Pictures, will move from March 11, 2016, to Friday, June 10, 2016.
- Universal Pictures’ MENA will be released on Friday, January 6, 2017.
- Universal Pictures’ FIFTY SHADES DARKER will be released on Friday, February 10, 2017.
- Universal Pictures’ THE MUMMY will move from June 24, 2016, to Friday, March 24, 2017.
- The new chapter in Universal Pictures’ FAST & FURIOUS saga will be released on Friday, April 14, 2017.
- Legendary’s PACIFIC RIM 2 will move from April 7, 2017, to Friday, August 4, 2017. It will be released in 3D by Universal Pictures.
- Universal Pictures’ FIFTY SHADES FREED will be released on Friday, February 9, 2018.
- Universal Pictures’ UNTITLED UNIVERSAL MONSTER FRANCHISE FILM will move from April 21, 2017, to Friday, March 30, 2018.