The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt May Include Permadeath and More New Details
As promised, after the live stream featuring 15 glorious minutes of gameplay from The Witcher 3, the developers answered some questions fans had regarding the game. Though there were plenty of interesting tidbits to be learned, the most promising was the reveal that there may be an "insanity" difficulty included. In addition to be incredibly challenging for players, CDPR is contemplating instituting permadeath into this difficulty, as well as having the game delete your saves to ensure you pay the ultimate price. It's not officially included yet, but the promise of such a feature is enticing.
Game Informer collected the rest of the important replies, including those about story choices, combat, and characters you may encounter on your journey.
- Situations will vary depending on the choices you make in the game -- you befriend and who you make an enemy.
- Characters that didn't make it into The Witcher 2 won't be in The Witcher 3, but may be introduced as a DLC.
- You will come across a bard character that will sing tales of Geralt's past. You will be able to correct him when prompted if the events transpired differently in your previous playthrough. This will be tied directly into the narrative and players won't have to make these choices outside of the core game.
- For crafting you will need a blueprint as well as a skilled blacksmith.
- "You see that Geralt who is usually quite tough and serious clearly has a soft spot for this girl," admitted Damien Monnier, senior game designer. "She's not a damsel in distress; she's quite badass," added Miles Tost, level designer on Geralt and Ciri's father-daughter relationship.
- Alchemy requires you to start with the recipe and then find the ingredients to create a potion, which will only have 4-5 uses. The potions will be easier to replenish than they will originally be to make.
- There will be over 100 melee combat moves and animations.
- If you want to meditate all you have to do is build a fire, but it has to be your own fire.
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt will be coming out May 19 for PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC.