PlayStation 4’s Masamune Update Previewed
The big update for PlayStation 4 is still on its way, but at least we can preview some of the things we can expect from system software 2.00.
A post on the PlayStation Blog from Scott McCarthy, Director of Product Planning and Software Innovation at SCEA, clues us into some of the big additions coming with the Masamune update. A lot of the changes allow gamers a greater deal of customization options and ways to organize their experience on the PlayStation 4.
Here's a short list of the new additions:
- USB Music Player - PlayStation 4 owners will be able to plug in a USB stick filled with music into a USB slot and play their own music in the backgrounds. The music files must be .MP3, .MP4, .M4A and .3GP.
- Change Colors - It might seem minor, but being able to change the background color of the home screen can do a lot to affect one's gaming mood. Choose from gold, blue, red, green, purple, pink and gray.
- Players You May Know - The "What's New" section will suggest friends you may know online.
- Enhancements to Live Broadcasting - Players will be able to use the Live From PlayStation app to select featured channels that include broadcasts from their friends and games that those friends are following.
- Content Area and Library - This area will now show 15 of a player's most used apps and games on the PlayStation 4. New filers will allow for greater organization in the Library.
- Enhanced Voice Commands - Players will be able to say, "PlayStation" to prime commands and say, "All Commands" in order to bring up a list of all voice commands.
- Add to Library - The free games that PlayStation Plus members receive monthly will now have the option to "Add to Library," making it so that the PlayStation 4 owner can own it without having to download it.