PlayStation 4, Dying Light Top January NPD Sales Numbers
The monthly NPD games industry sales report has been released, and a former champion returns to the top console throne while a new face takes the lead in the software division.
After two months of second place the PlayStation once again outsold the Xbox One for the month of January and claimed the top spot. Sony responded with a release saying, "PlayStation 4 was the top selling console in January, it and remains the cumulative leader in the US, according to NPD data. Since launch in November 2013, 18.5 million PS4 units and 81.8 million software units have been sold through to consumers worldwide."
Software saw the Techland-developed zombie fest Dying Light take the top sales spot despite releasing on the 27th of the month, becoming the first game to knock Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare from the top spot since it launched on November 4.
Despite good news for Sony and Techland, the industry as a whole saw a 5% decrease year-to-year in overall figures, with a 5% increase in software and accessory sales offset by a major 23% plunge in hardware numbers from January 2014.
The top ten best selling games for the month of January were as follows:
1. Dying Light (PS4, Xbox One, PC)
2. Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3, PC)
3. Grand Theft Auto 5 (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3)
4. Minecraft (360, PS3, Xbox One, PS4)
5. NBA 2K15 (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3, PC)
6. Super Smash Bros. (Wii U, 3DS)
7. Far Cry 4 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3, PC)
8. Madden NFL 15 (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3)
9. Destiny (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3)
10. FIFA 15 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3, Wii, Vita, 3DS)