Nintendo 3DS Update 9.6.0 Adds Amiibo Support, Menu Upgrades and More
Nintendo is updating all versions of its 3DS and 2DS handhelds, adding improvements to the HOME Menu, amiibo connectivity and overall system stability.
Nintendo's Information on Recent System Features and Updates website has revealed the cool new additions coming to its handhelds with the new 9.6.0 update. Specifically, this update will bring about changes to the HOME menu in terms of themes, better usability within the Theme Shop and improvements to stability and usability across the board. There will also be an update for the Nintendo 3DS, 3DS XL and 2DS systems that will look ahead to when amiibo support will be brought to those handhelds via an upcoming peripheral.
Here's what's coming with update 9.6.0:
- Changes to HOME Menu:
- This will bring about a new Home Menu Layout setting that will allow users to save and load up to eight different layouts that can include different theme and software icon variations.
- Changes to Theme Shop:
- Navigation will become easier than ever with additional categories to search through themes with.
- Improvements to system stability and usability:
- Minor adjustments to the system will bring about better stability and usability for users.
- Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo 3DS XL and Nintendo 2DS Specific Changes:
- New amiibo settings have been added to the HOME Menu Settings in preparation for the amiibo support that will inevitably join these versions of handhelds. You will now be able to register an amiibo owner and nickname, delete data written to an amiibo or reset an amiibo.
If you're wondering how the old Nintendo 3DS and 2DS models will end up with amiibo support, your questions will be answered when an amiibo-scanning peripheral device launches sometime later this year. The New 3DS XL can simply scan amiibo figures through its bottom touchscreen.