Nintendo Tops February NPD Charts
Nintendo rises out of the red as The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D claimed the top spot in software sales and the 3DS family of handhelds outsold every home console on the market throughout the month of February.
Destructoid reports that 3DS handhelds sold 395,000 units in the month of February, beating out both the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One in terms of hard hardware numbers. These sales were no doubt boosted by the launch of both Majora's Mask 3D and Capcom's relentless action game Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate, the two games that bookend the top 10 software list. Head to head the PlayStation 4 once again outsold the Xbox One in February, though the hard figures have not been released, and Microsoft tends to lump together Xbox 360 and Xbox One system sales as just "Xbox sales" in order to make its numbers look bigger compared to Sony's separated PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 3 sales figures.
The full top ten list for software sales in February looks like this:
- The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask 3D (3DS) (515,000 copies combined digitally and physically)
- Evolve (Xbox One, PS4, PC)
- Dying Light (PS4, Xbox One, PC)
- Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3, PC)
- Grand Theft Auto V (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
- NBA 2K15 (PS4, Xbox One, PS3, 360)
- Dragon Ball: Xenoverse (PS4, Xbox One, PS3, 360)
- Minecraft (360, PS3, Xbox One, PS4)
- The Order: 1886 (PS4)
- Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate (3DS) (290,000 copies combined digitally and physically)
We're loving that Nintendo has gotten a little taste of life on the top again, though we sincerely doubt it will last very long with March bringing in some heavy hitters to the battlefield between Xbox and Sony. It'll be a "hard line" for Nintendo to maintain, but we'll have to wait and see.