Sony is dropping a brand new update for the PS Vita firmware later today that is meant to fix quite a few issues that users have been having. The update was announced on the official U.S. PlayStation Blog earlier this morning and should hit when the PSN goes through its normal weekly Tuesday update.
The biggest new piece of functionality in this update is the ability to sort your icons into folders. This can be used as a temporary workaround to surpass the consoles maximum icon limit. Full update features can be found below.
- Create folders to more easily manage your favorite application icons on the home screen, with up to 10 icons in each folder and a maximum of 100 on the home screen (including icons inside the folders).
- Verify which PS Vita card you are using by looking at the home screen’s info bar. You can also save the layout of your home screen icons in the memory card.
- Added video support allows you to play videos within the browser (memory card required; some videos are not supported).
- New email enhancements allows you to view HTML messages, add multiple email addresses to your contacts, and easily search your messages using the new search feature.
- PlayStation Plus members will be able to automatically update PlayStation Mobile format software and upload game save data onto online storage using 3G connection.
- New “Mute Automatically” option will mute your PS Vita speakers when your headset is unplugged and pause your music when using the music app.