Mortal Kombat X, Xbox One Achieve Flawless Victories on April NPD ChartsJason Fanelli |
The monthly NPD sales report has been released for April 2015, and while the software side is no surprise, the console battle continues its seesaw effect.
VentureBeat is reporting that overall video games sales reached $595.7 million in the month of April, a 3 percent increase from April 2014. Mortal Kombat X reigned atop the software sales charts for the month, beating out Grand Theft Auto V, Battlefield Hardline, and MLB 15: The Show.
The full top ten list of games can be seen below (with their most popular formats in descending order):
- Mortal Kombat X (PS4, Xbox One)
- Grand Theft Auto V (PS4, Xbox One, PC, Xbox 360, PS3)
- Battlefield: Hardline (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3, PC)
- MLB 15: The Show (PS4, PS3)
- Minecraft (360, PS3, Xbox One, PS4)
- NBA 2K15 (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3, PC)
- Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3, PC)
- Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
- Super Smash Bros. (3DS, Wii U)
- Borderlands: The Handsome Collection (PS4, Xbox One)
On the console side, Xbox One beat out PlayStation 4 in overall sales, re-taking the throne it hadn't held since December 2014. After some dominant months from PS4 since the two consoles released, Xbox One is slowly chipping away at Sony's lead even if they give it back for a few months at a time. We expect things to continue to even out, especially with new Xbox One bundles and the occasional price drop we've seen in the past.
Can we also mention how impressive it is that Grand Theft Auto V remains in second place a year and a half after its initial release and five months after its re-release on new consoles? That game just cannot be stopped. We want to predict that GTA V will reclaim the top spot in May, but Geralt of Rivia might have something to say about it...