THQ is running a promotion for the upcoming game, Metro: Last Light, in which they'll gift you with a downloadable copy of the original 2010 release, Metro 2033, in exchange for a "like" on the game's official Facebook page. Doesn't sound like such a bad deal, right?
The Metro games feature a mix of first-person shooter gameplay with survival horror elements, mainly set in the metro system of a post-apocalyptic Moscow. In Metro 2033, players have to survive against mutants and other humans in a dark, foreboding environment. There is limited ammo, the need to change filters in one's gas mask every so often, and a lack of a visible health bar, so players' resourcefulness are definitely put to the test in this game.
Metro: Last Light, the sequel to 2033, will be out in March 2013 and will feature similar gameplay, but with more locations and improved mechanics. It will also have voice-acting by actors such as Lance Henriksen, Nolan North, Khary Payton, and funnyman Patton Oswalt. For more of a look at Last Light, an article on Kotaku offers impressions based on a preview event. Check out the videos for both games below to get a sense of the gameplay.
And if you were interested in snagging a free copy of Metro 2033, here are the system requirements:
- OS: Windows XP, Vista, or 7
- Processor: Dual core CPU (any Core 2 Duo or better)
- Memory: 1GB RAM
- Graphics: DirectX 9, Shader Model 3 compliant graphics cards (GeForce 8800, GeForce GT220 and above)
- DirectX®: DirectX 9.0c
Enabling 3D Vision:
- Metro 2033 utilizes NVIDIA 3D Vision with compatible cards and hardware. To play Metro 2033 in 3D you will require:
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 275 and above recommended
- A 120Hz (or above) monitor
- NVIDIA 3D Vision kit Microsoft Windows Vista or Windows 7
- Processor: Any Quad Core or 3.0+ GHz Dual Core CPU
- Memory: 2GB RAM
- Graphics: DirectX 10 compliant graphics card (GeForce GTX 260 and above)
- DirectX®: DirectX 10 or higher
- Processor: Core i7 CPU
- Memory: 8GB RAM or higher
- Graphics: NVIDIA DirectX 11 compliant graphics card (GeForce GTX 480 and 470)
- DirectX®: DirectX 11