Guild Wars 2 wants to give its community a chance to work together with their guilds. How will they do this in a game that's already massively-multiplayer? By adding Guild Missions!
Leah Rivera, a representative of the Guild Content team, discusses some of the features that will be implemented at the end of February.
She says that the team's primary goal was to "create a solid foundation to support PvE guild play." It's the team's hope that the additions will foster a sense of fun for guilds, which they'll attempt to do with guild missions, guild merits, and an expanded unlock system.
Guild missions can be unlocked through the guild tech tree and are heavily dependent on having a group of players undertaking tasks. Even if your guild's roster doesn't number in the hundreds, you can still grab passersby to assist with your group's cause.
According to the post, the following mission types will be available in February:
- Guild Bounty – Your guild is tasked with tracking down and capturing various targets for the Orders. These people are wanted for a variety of reasons and have all sorts of tricks up their sleeves to resist arrest!
- Guild Trek – Think you know Tyria? Well the Tyrian Explorer’s Society has a challenge for you! Find the list of locations before time runs out.
- Guild Challenge – These challenges leverage our existing event system but are specifically geared to require multi-group, coordinated play to succeed. So gather your guild and see if you’re up to the challenge!
- Guild Rush – Test your skills with a mad dash over harrowing terrain, traps, and other hidden dangers. Just remember, there’s safety in numbers!
- Guild Puzzle – It’s a puzzle and a jumping challenge all in one! This mission type requires multi-group coordination as well as individual jumping skills to get to the treasure at the end.
Leah ends the briefing on Guild Missions by saying that players will be able to earn personal rewards and Guild Merits upon successful completion of tasks. The Merits will help unlock new guild upgrades, which is beneficial for everyone involved. In this case, those who game together, gain together!
Click here to read the full post. The update goes live on February 26th, 2013, so let us know if you're going to be coordinating with your guild to take on these missions!