Chasm is finishing up its first week on Kickstarter with excellent results, having garnered so much support that Discord Games have blasted through the 50% mark of their intended $150,000 goal.
Discord has been working on the game for the past 5 months, even bringing a playable demo of the title to GDC Play 2013, which is now available for download on the Kickstarter page.
If you do decide to back the game, then you should know that you'll be helping to fund a love letter to the old Castlevania, Metroid, and Legend of Zelda games, in which a soldier, homebound after a long war, passes through a mining town. He has to brave the mines and fight the supernatural forces that have been causing the disappearances of miners and plaguing the town with their general evilness.
According to the press release, Chasm will feature the following:
- Explore Metroid-like dungeons procedurally assembled from hand-crafted rooms in six diverse areas.
- Challenging retro gameplay and gorgeous authentic pixel art (320×180 native resolution)
- Discover new special abilities and powers to reach previously inaccessible areas
- Play how you want by equipping weapons, spellbooks, shields, and more to both hands
- Uncover random loot drops and rare items
- Battle massive bosses & mini-bosses
- Includes Normal and Hardcore (Scored with Permadeath) Modes
- Leaderboards for Hardcore playthroughs featuring quickest time, least damage taken, and more
- Windows, Mac, & Linux versions with Gamepad support